our clients: St.Francis de Sales
The parish was established in its own right in 1904. The original church building a small wooden structure commissioned by Bishop Pompallier in 1866 as a mortuary chapel in Symonds St. and named for one of his patrons ( Jean-Baptiste Francois Pompallier ) was barged across the harbour and erected on the current site in 1893. In 1918 a second and larger building, of Gothic Revival design, was erected over the old chapel, which was then dismantled and removed through the entrance.
The name attached to the old church, St Francis de Sales, became that of the new, and at its dedication in 1919 Bishop Cleary added All Souls, possibly in recognition of the many who lost their lives in the war of 1914-18 and in the flu epidemic which followed. Entombed in the altar are relics of St Fidelis - martyr, St Fortunata - martyr, and St Andrew Corsini.